How to bring your family or relative to Canada on sponsorship
If you are a Canadian Citizen or Permanent resident of Canada above the age of 18, then there is a possibility to sponsor your spouse, parents, common-law partner, dependent child including adopted child or other eligible relatives to become a permanent resident. These immigrants are eligible to apply for family sponsoring process called family class visa, which requires an approval by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). For all the queries on how to bring your family to Canada, you may refer CIC website.
While sponsoring for your spouse or a relative to come to Canada as a permanent Resident, it is mandatory to support them financially in all aspects. Hence, CIC expects all the sponsors to meet the requirements of Low Income Cut Off (LICO) amount depending on the number of sponsored persons. Additionally, it is also necessary to make sure that the sponsored person does not depend on the government for financial assistance.
Eligibility to sponsor:
Before knowing how to bring your family to Canada, it is important
to analyze if you are eligible for sponsorship. The eligibility to sponsor a close
family member or relative becomes void if you
• Failed to provide monetary support that you have agreed while signing the sponsorship agreement
• Convicted of a violent criminal offense
• Other than disability if you have received financial assistance from the government before
• Have declared bankruptcy or defaulted on an immigration loan
• Have previously sponsored family or relatives to become permanent residents and they have later taken financial assistance from the government
Sponsoring your family:
• In order to sponsor a family member or relative it is important to sign a sponsorship
agreement that commits you to provide financial support if necessary. • As a legal
sponsor, you must also provide extended monetary help to your spouse, common-law
or conjugal partner for the period of three years after he/she becomes permanent
• In addition to that, you need to provide financial support to the dependent children for 10 years or until they become 25 years old. If you do not know how to bring your family to Canada, you may contact CIC toll free numbers.